Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A lick and a promise...

When time was short and company was coming, a quick dusting and tidying up had a funny name in our house, "a lick and a promise." A lick means a hasty effort, I think it is an Irish saying but some claim it comes from Romany horse traders licking their hands before shaking. If that were the case, I don't think my mother would have used the phrase.

Well, there's much work calling this morning to which I must give my best effort, but I have a little flower blooming and am thinking about BETH, who is not a lick and promise kind of girl. She is faithful and kind, my mother-in-law. And I am proud of Grandma for getting high speed Internet and exploring her computer more.

Several years ago I bought some little bulbs at the hardware store. A few of them have survived the gophers, so here is a good morning wind flower, a big hello and a lick and a promise...as things are starting to bloom here on the Pacific coast, I'll hope to share more flowers and perhaps even something interesting to read soon.

2 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Is this flower still surviving three years later? I never saw this post when it was first published, but the photo of the ornate flower caught my eye in that trio of "you might also be interested in..." thumbnails at the bottom of your blog.

I've always wondered about "a lick and a promise." I thought it might refer to when a mother licks her finger to wipe some dirt off a child's face, with a promise to herself to give him a real bath sometime later.

Jeannette said...

Yes, I had a few windflowers this year too...and your idea about a mother's moistened finger to make hasty clean-ups may be quite on the spot.
You never did that...did you?