Wednesday, March 14, 2018

You are alive...be happy! To Paraphrase G.K. Chesterton

 I came across a quote this morning that has piqued my interest in reading The Autobiography of G.K. Chesterton  (San Francisco: Ignatius, 2006.)

 In his Autobiography, Chesterton writes that
“At the back of our brains, so to speak, there was a forgotten blaze or burst of astonishment at our own existence.  The object of the artistic and spiritual life was to dig for this submerged sunrise of wonder; so that a man sitting in a chair might suddenly understand that he was actually alive, and be happy” (99).




"...submerged sunrise of wonder..."  yes...




3 comments:

Martha said...

I've never read his works, but this is neat! It makes me think of my dad in his poor health, on those good days, when he smiled and felt better than usual.

Jeannette said...

Ah Martha...your father undoubtably was also looking forward, or even looking outside of time and basking in the hope he treasured. I appreciated the posts you shared about your father and your then- little- ones bringing their love to him.

Anonymous said...

Very nice article, totally what I needed.