Friday, April 17, 2009

Cat on a Finished Quilt Sampler

I found a delightful blog today that is having
a virtual quilt show and being I have actually
finished a quilt I want to play too...
I pieced the blocks quite a few years back...
A Cathedral Window...
There had to be a Log Cabin of course...and it sits right in the middle. That is where the kitten likes to sit too. She belongs to the quilt recipient, but Miss Kitty Bumpkins was living with us while I was finishing the quilt. She was often very helpful. The photo of kitty & me above sewing together is courtesy of Mark.


The room in which I photographed the quilt has covered skylights and the very edges of the lights let the sun in and I foolishly let the kitty in...I was giving the quilt to posterity so I wasn't thinking of quality photographing this quilt for posterity.
Here's Jacob's Ladder...
Eventually I pieced them all together. Last year I finished the blue edging, hand quilted it and gave it to a dear daughter for her birthday present... Our girls liked to climb trees and make forts and although they liked tutus, they both tended to eschew pink.

Some of the fabrics were vintage and others I purchased in a little independent fabric shop in Sonoma County, California that is long gone. I would say I drafted all the pattern blocks to size myself, but as I recall my husband was an able and willing helper when it came to geometry and calculations. I like windowing special designs and usually use clear plastic for my cuttings guides. This quilt is for a twin bed. Here it is just covering the top of a queen sized bed. It isn't the only quilt I have finished, but I don't have any photos of some of them. I was thinking today of a quilt I made for my baby niece who is herself now pregnant. I guess I better get busy.

Well I am off to share this quilt blog with the quilt show...You can visit the blogs of other quilters and see their handiwork at http://parkcitygirl.blogspot.com/2009/04/quilt-festival-spring-2009.html But I also hope you will come back and enjoy other pages of both my blogs.

Thanks for coming by...and I do appreciate your comments. It makes it so much more fun to know that someone was actually "here."

~~~~~~

22 comments:

Lollydo said...

oh,wow... your colors choices are so vibrant and beautiful, I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt! I can tell it took a lot of work! Very beautiful!

Zonnah said...

It is very pretty, and cute cat :)

Sarah Beth said...

Your girls still like climbing trees and building forts, still like tutus, and still eshew pink. :)you know us well.

A quilt makes a special present. The cat blanket that Gramma and Grampa made for me is testimony to that for sure!!

GretchenJoanna said...

I'm glad the kitty was enjoying the quilt while you took pictures. It makes it even more homey and cozy.

Kerri said...

such a beautiful work of art!!

Laurel Grinnell said...

Wow Jeannette! I can't even imagine the numbers of hours you put into that quilt! It is so beautiful!!

Rhonda said...

I love your sampler. There's always something that catches the eye.

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful vibrant colors. It is really a wonderful quilt!

Donna said...

isn't it amazing just how helpful a cat can be?! The sampler has some wonderful blocks in it, and the colours work well in each one. Congrats.

Aunt Spicy said...

What a fabulous Quilt! Each block is amazing!

stitchinpenny said...

Beautiful quilt. The blocks are so well coordinated. I like the cat pictures too.

Unknown said...

Beautiful sampler! I love your color/fabric choices - great work! thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt, someday I'd like to make a sampler too! Wonderful fabrics!

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Pretty quilt, isn't it funny how cats always take over the new quilt?

Emma said...

Beautiful quilt!

Oddbjørg said...

What a beautiful sampler!
Thanks for visiting my blog!

SewCalGal said...

I love your quilt. You did a fantastic job. Great colors. Fun! Thanks for sharing in this show.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Beautiful Quilt!
We share the same name and we both have a calico kitty... I'll post a pic of her soon and let you know... my kids are so surprised! :)

Granny Lyn said...

How wonderful!! What a stunning Sampler! love it

AnnieO said...

This sampler has very rich and yummy colors. Surely your DD curls up with it like a cat and feels your love in the stitches!

Jessica said...

It is fun seeing all of the different blocks you put into this quilt!