Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stand Their Ground



What do I want to say about these rocks?


    Or is it what do these rocks say to me?


These rocks are the center divide on a curve on California's Highway 101.  This through- the -dirty windshield- with- the -wipers- going photo was taken  as we passed these rocks at the speed limit ( don't worry, I wasn't the one driving)  northbound on a wet cloud day.

Paths have undoubtably skirted around these rocks long before there was a road.
They seem full of stories, these rocks. "Notice  I am already here,"  they might have said to the engineers that planned the state highway.   The road used to function with a lane going each direction, but now both these lanes are northbound and the two southbound lanes course around the west of these rocks.

I am always delighted to see these rocks, even for the split of time that one is granted with the need to keep eyes on the road and flow with the prevailing traffic.


The google truck must have been out on a clear day, and of course their camera is on top of the vehicle so here is a shot from google earth where you can see both sides of the road...or should I say both sides of rock.

 I like rocks...and these speak of the primacy of the land...an ancient boundary if you will.  Store fronts along the road come and go, fields  are planted and some are paved over. Apple orchards are removed for vineyards...but these rocks hold their place and each time I see them, they make me glad.
           
                                                            ~~~~~





1 comment:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

So beautiful.

Fondly,
Glenda