Monday, October 12, 2009

Miniature Postage Stamp Blogger's Quilt Festival & Doll Clothes

 I was feeling left out of Amy's Fall Blogger's Quilt Festival, but when I went back and read the rules, I realized it didn't have to be a big quilt, or one I had made since the Spring Festival where I entered a sampler I had recently finished. So here I am with a very tiny doll quilt I made and sent out into play land. The photo was in a folder of other little things I had sewn back in 2003 - 2005 while recuperating from one of life's big bitey bugs (shall we say). Creativity can be a great distraction and wonderful comfort when limitations exist in other realms, and so it was for me. This is a very tiny quilt, for 8" dolls and is actually pieced from a sample pack. I am sorry I don't remember the source or the maker of the fabrics. I made the little fuzzy blanket too.

This second dolly bedding is made from printed quilt fabric. It is out there in dolly land somewhere now too. To give you some perspective, that doll is 5.5 inches tall.
If you're willing to keep scrolling a little more you can see the clothes I made for old dolls that were in need .
This dress was made with blanket binding. This 1940's 7 inch composition doll came to me with only her hat. She left ready for dancing under the stars.
Below is a little Nancy Ann bisque doll from the 1940's. She was made in the city of my birth, San Francisco. I had some of these dolls when I was a child, so I took her need of clothing to heart and made her an outfit reminiscent of the " One, Two button My Shoe" school girl outfits some of these dolls had.
Matching pantalets or pantloons were all the rage.

The dolly on the left was naked and bald, we've become friends.  She is the only one I still have of those I redressed. The doll in satin taffeta Christmas plaid was redressed for a friend.

Flair gypsy style, this outfit was made in the wee morning hours when I couldn't sleep.  Playing with cloth soothed my concerns and later I napped happily.



I had fun with a tiny crochet hook and cotton thread making the hat and purse too. That's Mary Engelbriet cloth paired up with some white pique.
Another Gypsy woman or country girl dress I made was for this plastic Nancy Ann doll who was made in the 1950's.
Bad or missing hair probably inspired the babushka.

This little fairy is dressed in fabric flowers petals with a felt hat. She was fun to make and now she  lives far away in Iceland.
Well I realize I might have lost some of you quilters by now,
but I am so enjoying looking at every one's quilts that I wanted to offer something too.
It really is an impressive collection that Amy has linked up. It is also a great way to find blogs that give you a glimpse of folks who you might wind up wishing lived next door to you. There are a lot of busy, creative healthy families and stalwart individuals "out there" and it's a real encouragement to see and read about productive happy lives. Thank you visitors for coming here. I hope you'll poke around, check other posts of mine and come back again. I'll be sure to visit you. I know it will take me a long time to get through all the quilts, but peeking at handmade beauty probably has a good benefit just like an apple a day!

28 comments:

Fogwood214 said...

These are amazing! I didn't know you worked with dolls too! Way cool. :-)

Zonnah said...

Very cute!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

I'm so glad you entered your doll quilts! It is a really fun change and getting to see your doll costumes has been really fun. You must have fantastic eyesight to stitch that tiny detail!

GretchenJoanna said...

I'm very glad you joined the festival, so I could learn about it and see all those scores of inspiring creations! Also because I am entering my quilt by following your good example, and it is great fun to take part and not be left out. :)

Sarah Beth said...

You are the Doll Whisperer!

These show a lot of nice work on your part. I'm glad you took pictures. I hadn't seen all of these. I especially liked your first dolly quilt and your Native American dolly friend.

SisterlyLove said...

Thanks for your comment on my quilt! :) Your doll quilts are AMAZING! and I love your dolls too. The gypsie and fairy ones were my favorite! So darling. If you want, you can check out our doll blog:

http://emalineswardrobe.blogspot.com/

I really enjoyed seeing all those sweet costumes and quilts.
Beautiful!

Genevieve

Amy Friend said...

Very cute! I wish my daughter would play with her dolls so that I could make her these things but she just isn't interested!

happy zombie said...

I love your little quilt and so glad you showed it (haha, now mine feels like it's king size - thank you!). So glad you clicked on my link... it made for a nice short cut to your blog! :o)

Sara said...

Cute little doll quilt. My mom would make clothes for my dolls and little blankets. Thanks for bringing back great memories.

And, thanks for visiting my blog...

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

I love your dolls and the little quilts. Such personalities:) Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind comments.

Catherine said...

YOur dolls quilts are so cute and I like the happy vibrant colours you've used. I love the dolls clothes too, such attention to detail. Awesome work!

Anonymous said...

How lovely, - wish I was a little girl and owned that quilt! Love your dolls too!

Leslie said...

those are great little quilts...so tiny. thanks for visiting my blog and saying such nice things

duckyhouse said...

Your quilts are very cute and look so cozy...makes me wish I was tiny so i could just crawl in one of those beds :)

Carolyn said...

What a cute doll quilt!

Thimbleanna said...

Your little quilts are so cute! You should get the prize for the smallest quilts in the show!

Cynthia said...

Those wee quilts are darling. Doll clothes terrify me. Very impressive.

Dresden Quilter said...

Wow! You did not lose me. The quilts are cute and the dresses are adorable. You have a strong attention to detail.

Carolyn said...

I love the doll quilts. Lovely!

Casey said...

These are cute. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Awesome site, I had not noticed breadonthewater.blogspot.com previously during my searches!
Continue the excellent work!

Jeannette said...

For some reason this post attracks many spam comments...recently an anon asked about linking to this site. If you have a request, please use your identity...I will change how things are set up so that anon commentors will know they cannot leave a message.
Big thanks to all the other folks who have visited and left such kind comments. I have enjoyed looking at your blogs too. Hope you will come again. best wishes and happy holiday from Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am definitely glad to find this. great job!

Anonymous said...

A man is known by the company he keeps.

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am really glad to find this. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am certainly glad to find this. cool job!

Alliee said...

Ok, now I'm depressed. I started a doll quilt for my grandaughter's second birthday. Then I thought maybe by Christmas, then I thought by her third birthday. I'm aiming for Christmas again.
Alliee +

Anonymous said...

how many time i do not do what i want to do but do what i dont want to do