Friday, February 27, 2009

signs of spring to come



Most of the wild animals stay pretty hidden on the cliff. But when the asparagus start to pop up, the night time feasting begins. I guess the only way I am going to be able to get any is put a tiny wire fence around the whole raised bed patch. Whoever has been eating them wasn't deterred by the bird netting we had used. We know we have had bobcats and the stories of mountain lions any where in the area are oft repeated. The stone walls keep most of the deer out, but occasionally we see the hoof prints of a visitor. Once a beautiful doe appeared in the forest in elegant slow motion. As soon as she saw me in my window, she broke gaze and bound, her hooves clearing stones and shrubs in graceful leaps. Raccoons we have and squirrels. Birds of many kinds visit in numbers, and then there are rats and mice and voles and gophers and moles. There may be some rabbits too, but we do have a dog. Why do I think I'm going to get any of my garden? We have been eating broccoli, chard, kale, lettuce, red peppers and green onions. But thus far, my asparagus crop seems to be spoken for just before I think they are tall and plentiful enough to harvest. I am working on changing this.

No comments: