Friday, October 22, 2010

Who Weeds the Ocean?


Who weeds the ocean?  We have a friend who grew up in the deserts of Jordan.  One day, sitting together above a cove filled with floating kelp and seaweed, he asked if anyone ever cleans up the cove waters.  It makes me smile to think of his question and yet...someone does...last week on the sands in Carmel, the autumn currents had tugged up the roots of the weeds of  the sea and, once loosed, the tendrils of the deep were beached.




Friday October 10 was a cloudy calm day...just ask these birds.



or this child...

~on the cusp~
~cross currents~
~carpe diem~

~~~


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's special to live by the sea and daily observe the changes that might be missed on occasional visits. The past few weeks P and I have heard the harbor seals barking more than we've noticed before in the early morning hours.

Martha said...

I wish we lived closer to the ocean...we did for a couple of years when we lived in Georgia, but it is quite a drive from Ohio!

P.S. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog!

Katie (Nature ID) said...

I'm not consistent about commenting. I read your blog regularly, Jeannette, and even linked to your post on mine: http://natureid.blogspot.com/2010/09/giant-kelp-macrocystis-pyrifera-bull.html. I like the writer's insights you provide.