Thursday, November 4, 2010

After the First Rain a Gardener's Fancy Turns to Seed

I probably have a better picture of the flowers I got from sprinkling a package of  flower seeds in a little oval bed on a west facing hillside but the flowers are gone now...and  it's time to plant more seeds.


I cut the drying plants and sat and made a big bag of mixed seeds.


These are godetia.

And I remembered a little can of red poppy seeds I gathered this summer.



And then I dug out the old packets of things I used partially and bags, jars and tins of seeds I've gathered here and there...



but that didn't stop me from  getting some new seed packets too...

So here's hoping they germinate happily in the few spots of sun I can give them
 and that there will  be more flowers ablooming next year...

3 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Even the seed packets are a work of art ... imagine when the flowers arrive. Fun.

Fondly,
Glenda

Jeannette said...

Well hello traveler, does this mean you have safely unpacked that truck Glenda? I sure hope so...
so nice to hear from you again.
blessings,
Jeannette

abby jenkins said...

When I first bought my house, my first house!, in Vermont I was traveling on the road shooting Food 911. I was gone for months at a time. One of the first weekends I was home after owning the house for about 4 months, I was cleaning out one of the drawers in my office and came across a ziploc filled with many packets of seed I had optimistically purchased over the years. I was going to throw them out as most of them were years old. On my way to the garbage I looked outside and saw the big patch of dirt where the birch tree used to be (previous owners took it with) and decided...hey why not throw them out there. Can't hurt. Long story short.. when I came back home in June, three months later, I had the most amazing cutting garden ever in my front yard. You can see a photo of it on my blog yesterday. After all those years of dividing and watering, feeding and weeding....this was the greatest garden I have ever had with absolutely no help from me. I guess the strong will survive...that and the fact that the soil in Vermont is amazingly fertile. Changed the way I garden today. I'd be happy to trade some of my seeds with you next fall, or this spring, if you are game! Pretty poppies!!